Monday, March 24, 2008

Menu Monday

A few weeks ago, a friend and I decided to try out "freezer cooking". I have several cookbooks that show how to take a recipe and double it or triple it and freeze it for future use. Well, who wouldn't like having a freezer full of meals that you can pull out in the morning to thaw and then cook that night and eliminate all the prep work? Our trial run went great and we plan to do it again soon. In the meantime, however, I am going to try making double of whatever it is I am fixing for supper and put that in the freezer. Not all meals are amenable to being in the freezer of course, but the ones that are will be what I will double. For instance, when my friend and I had our cooking session, we made a sloppy joe recipe that my family really liked, so when making the menu for this week, that is one my family asked for, so I am going to make a triple batch of it and put 2 of them in the freezer for later.

Here is my menu plan for the week along with what I plan to cook extra for the freezer:
  • Monday - Taco salad (will cook double the meat, season it and freeze)
  • Tuesday - Oven baked pork chops, cream cheese mashed potatoes, fried green beans
  • Wednesday - Beef roast, potatoes and carrots in the crockpot
  • Thursday - Sloppy joes (making 2 extra batches to freeze) with homemade seasoned potato wedges
  • Friday - Baked spaghetti, homemade garlic cheese biscuits, and tossed garden salad.

If any of you do this type of cooking, I would love to hear your tips, so please share!

2 comments:

happyhome said...

I just started this again too! I chose 4 simple meals and doubled them. It is so nice to pull dinner out of the freezer in the morning and be done!

Happywife84 said...

You are doing GREAT!