Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Season for Everything

A season for everything.....

I know that our lives are much like the seasons that most of us get to experience. We have spring, summer, fall, and winter in our personal lives, just like that which occurs in the world we live in. Sometimes I find myself, no matter how much I enjoy winter, when we have been under a barrage of sleet, freezing rain, and/or snow, longing for the warmer temps of spring, and seeing the new buds sprout on the trees and bushes. Then, before long I start finding myself longing for hotter days so we can go swimming in the river. And so on and so forth it goes....

But in my spiritual life, I find myself going through seasons as well, but for some reason I don't seem to embrace them as well as I do the seasons in my natural life. Yet God clearly states that there is a season for everything. (See Ecclesiastes 3:1-10).

So, no matter what season I am in my personal life, I need to recognize that it is not a shock for God to see me in that season, because He has clearly orchestrated the seasons of my life. So, if I trust Him, then I should be able to embrace each season and learn from each season what He wants me to learn. So much easier said than done though.

Currently, I am dealing with all teenagers and many times I find myself saying either out loud or under my breath, that I would rather change poopy diapers all day long than deal with a teenager's mouth or attitudes.

I remember an older lady who was a close family friend telling me one day when all 3 of my girls were very young that I should enjoy this stage of their lives because it would be gone all too quickly. And I can clearly remember thinking, "You've got to be kidding!" There is no way I can enjoy all the work it takes to care for 3 little ones when I get very little sleep, am always dealing with one fussy kid or another, etc., etc. Of course, now that I have teenagers I see the wisdom in what that dear friend was trying to impart to me.

So, what have I learned, after almost 20 years of being a parent/wife/adult? Embrace each season because it too will pass and you will be embracing another one before you know it. So now, even though some days I have to grit my teeth, I really do try to not rush the stages my girls are in. I am actively looking for the positives of each stage that they are in and I find that helps me to enjoy life much more.

So, no matter what season you are experiencing in your life right now, just remember, that God is in charge of the seasons of our lives and the seasons will come and go, but you can trust that God will be there with you through each season you pass through.

1 comment:

Ishadow said...

Welcome to CSS!! and your blog is SO true... mom to 2 teens myself! I too have learned to stay where you are planted...not wishing it away.