Thursday, May 8, 2008

Repentance - Do I Really Know What That Is?

As I continue on this path to personal revival, I have learned that true revival only comes about after true repentance. Now most of us think we know repentance, but as I have studied on it this past week, I discovered that there is much more to repentance than what I first thought.

I am concerned that too many of us confuse repentance with remorse. Remorse is a worldly grief, a feeling bad about our sin. Repentance is a Godly grief, and there will be outward evidence of it.

Real repentance influences behavior. Repentance is a change of mind that results in a change of behavior.

C.H. Spurgeon said: "There must be a divorce between you and your sins. Not a mere separation for a season, but a clear divorce." What a picture that is! Can I truly say that I have so effectively removed sin from my life as compared to a divorce?

I want to bring glory to God and I want to be used by Him - that's what repentance will enable me to do!

1 comment:

happyhome said...

Great points Donna. It takes the working of the Holy Spirit in our lives to bring about true repentance.

Have a blessed day!

Angela