Friday, June 10, 2011

The Challenge of Change

I found myself in the drive-thru lane at KFC/Taco Bell last night and while sitting there I started to reflect on just exactly what had led me to be there.  Over the past few months I have been seeing a "healthiatry" doctor in an effort to understand just exactly how my body works and to learn what right things to eat that will bring true health back to my body (KFC/Taco Bell is not part of that...lol).  While some changes have been fairly simple, I still find myself bumbling along in regards to so many things.  Primarily - meal planning.  It's never been my strong point and even though many of the foods I'm incorporating into my daily diet are not difficult, they still take thought to prepare and plan for. 

Change - some people are deathly afraid of it.  I never have been but tonight I realized that maybe why I'm not afraid of it is because it is something I don't do well enough to be afraid of.  Talking about change is fairly easy but when you try to reallly implement it, you see just how committed you are.  I don't like what I see. 

So, how does one really effect change?  I don't have all the answers, of course, but after pondering on it for a long while today, I think the one thing I now understand is that you just have to make the choice to "do it".  It will never be easy so waiting on it to get easy is never going to happen.  But when you know from the depths of your heart that you need to change something in your life - whether it be eating habits, spiritual disciplines, etc. - you just need to start doing it.  If we just take it one day at a time, one step at a time, then one day we will be able to look back and see the progress we've made.  How said it is to look back and realize that you never made any efforts at all towards the thing you knew to change because you were waiting on it to be easy.

Yes, change is a challenge, but it is also something that we, as Christians, are supposed to be doing all the time anyway.  We are to grow each day to be more like our Lord, so I'm going to get busy fighting FOR change instead of against it.  :)

No comments: