Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Eve of a New Month

Well, here we are at the end of one month and the beginning of a new one.  I have only known 2 people in my life who actually celebrate the beginning of a new month.  They inspired me with how they celebrate it to the point that I actually think of it on the first of each month, but as far as celebrating it, I haven't ever really done that.  However, tonight I am thinking about it a little differently.

Sometimes we get so stuck in our ruts and every day is just as dreary and gloomy as the next. But that is not how we as Christians, especially, are to live our lives.  I just finished an amazing book about the power of the Holy Spirit in our lives and how we really don't understand just what that means for us.  Do we really understand that each day we have is a precious gift to us and God expects us to use it to glorify Him.  I don't know about you, but even though I call myself a Christian, most days I don't live any differently than my neighbor who doesn't claim christianity.  I am ill-tempered, grouchy, quick to snap at others when they don't line up with my expectations, and tend to have a scowl on my face more often than a smile.  Does that sound like the Holy Spirit living in me?

Last week I spent a lot of time working on decluttering and reorganizing my office and though I still have one spot to work on, it is very much more inviting to be in there now.  It has a sense of peace and calm to it now that was missing amongst all the chaos that was in there before.  I think that my spiritual life should be the same.  I need to get the junk out so that the Holy Spirit that dwells inside me can be free to empower me to experience the inner peace and calm that He desires me to have.  What better time to make this choice than at the beginning of a new month???  Actually, it would be a good decision any time of the month, but it's a little like the cherry on top to do it now, and I will be thinking of the two who inspire me with their monthly celebrations!

No comments: